Saturday, April 27, 2013

Melissa my American hero...

Lt. Melissa Stockwell (Ret)



So here it was last Monday evening in Lincoln Park and I just thought a few hundred runners might show up for the Boston Strong run and then I look up and there are over 1,500+ from all the running clubs and stores in Chicago. I saw many many friends who were out showing their support some even wearing the old school 90's Boston Marathon cotten race shirts.

At the last second I brought the flags I carried in the Boston 2013 race that I didn't get to finish due to the terror attack. I wasn't feeling really great on Monday to be honest with you, my body was sore and I was bit depressed by the whole attack and kinda of dragged myself out to run because someone said there would be pie. I'm glad I did.



Somewhere near mile 21 Boston Marathon

As I stood at the start line alone leaning on my flag pole my friend Melissa Stockwell walks up to me and gives me a giant hug. If you're unaware who Melissa is just Google her name and trust me you'll enjoy what you will read. This person never ceases to amaze me. The pain I was feeling in my legs and my Achilles went away just from her hug. Why? Mellisa has one leg (wounded in Iraq), she also just got back from racing in a half ironman in California 2 days before and she has a giant smile on her face. What problems do I have? None, nada, zilch.

Off we go leading the pack


Melissa and I at the finish
 
 
We both ran together to the finish line and I could see she was in pain from the new leg she was using and not to mention the blisters etc from the Ironman she incurred 2 days prior. No complaining, no bitching and moaning..just a smirk on her face that her "little leg" will get her to the finish line. There was no mention of what she was going to be doing that week at all after the race. Just a high five at the end of the evening and hug and we both left the park. Me to a bar with some teammates and her back home to Brian and Jake (her service dog).

Melissa and I near the end of the run


Fast forward to CNN and I'm watching the George W. Bush presidential library opening ceremony. Who steps up to the stage? Melissa was given the honor to lead the audience in the pledge of allegiance. Why wasn't I surprised? This is typical of a person who's modest of her accomplishments, her mentoring of others with disabilities, children etc. President Bush took her by the hand and introduced her to all the other living Presidents as his friend. Pretty amazing day for someone don't you think? It's because she's a pretty amazing person that's why.




Big O and W with Melissa


1 comment:

  1. Well said. Powerful and touching post. Melissa is a TRUE hero.

    ReplyDelete