Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Retro Blog .."To RUCK and Roll ...10-7-12 (Two-fer)

Posted on 10-6-12  PRE-RACE
 
 
Its “RUCK” & ROLL time…The Chicago Marathon (26.2 miles) is here 10.07.12 and there’s no turning back. The RUCK is all packed with 4.5 x 1 gallons of water, my gear & hydration, total weight expected 43lbs. The 6 ft. flag pole is ready with the flags.

SYMBOLS:

The RUCK will represent the “US ARMY”.  My cap (Marine Corp utility) for the day will represent the “U.S. Marine Corp” and Honoring Marine Louis M. "Red" Pelosi 84 (World War II and the Korean War. For gallantry in action in Korea he was awarded the Silver Star and was also the recipient of 3 Purple Hearts) who passed away last week in Boston” and “Lt. John Patrick O’Shea, (Retired Marine Corp Pilot and father in-law to a Chicago Police Officer)”. The flags will represent the “Chicago Police Memorial Foundation” and the “Wounded Warrior Project”. 

 


Good luck to my friends racing tomorrow, have a safe and enjoyable time. To all the volunteers thank you for all your time. The race will not be easy as I’m running with a heavy heart but my determination and the crowd will get me through it. I’ll be running on the right side of the street for most of the race if you see me give a shout out.  

THIS RACE IS DEDICATED TO THE FOLLOWING REAL AMERICAN HEROS:
The “Police officers” holding the blue line 24x7 and the families of the officers killed in the line of duty. Thank one along the race route today. Just a simple thank you is all that’s needed. A special honorable mention goes to Cecil Jones and the Boston Police Department whose endless support and friendship is treasured. (Mile 18 is for the Boston Police Department) (Mile 19 is for Detective Rhonda Anderson, Kate Sanchez, Mike Sanchez, David Alcazar, Sgt. Pat Donavan, Abe Martinez, Sgt. Meg Flisk, Maverick Garcia, David Formanski, Albert J. Guarnieri, Gary Frear, Joe Rivera).

The “INTEL” Community: Johnny "Mike" Spann (A.K.I.A, Afghanistan), Jose A. Rodriguez, Jr. (Retired), and Hank Crumpton (Retired) and to all of the 103 stars carved into the white Vermont marble wall in Langley.  Their deeds and bravery to protect all of us will never be known to only a select few. Hank (Mile 1 is for you because you and your officers are always the first in)

The “Wounded Warrior Project” veterans who have given their bodies and their youth for a greater cause. Melissa Hoffman Stockwell (US ARMY retired), Chad Watson (U.S. Marine Corp, retired), “The Beast” Brian Hicks (U.S. Army retired) and all my uncles whom all lived with the scars of battle from WWII & Korea who wore their Purple Hearts with distinction and without complaint. (Mile 20 “the wall” is for you all because it’s the hardest for me and you constantly inspire me to get past the wall).

The finish line medals will be staffed by Wounded Warrior Project volunteers. Please thank them as they place the medal around your neck.  

Special shout out to my dear friend Stephanie Felber the IRONMAN a cancer “survivor”. She the toughest lady I know (Mile 25 is for you sweetheart). To Josh Singewald brother, Chris who’s fighting back from a catastrophic injury. Keep moving forward buddy. (Mile 24 is for you).

Thank you all for contributing to my charities.

God bless this country, Semper Fi and Good Livin…one and all… David
===========================================================
Post race recap...10/8/13
 
Thanks to everyone below who helped me raise money for these two wonderful charities. Some of you gave to both. Total raised this year: $3,221.00

It was the hardest physical event I’ve ever done from start to finish. My feet took a real beating but I still have them and they will get better. My shoulders and arms are sore, but I still have them and they will get better. The people I race for don’t have that luxury so I’m grateful for being able to complete this event. The support I received from my team before, during and after the race was remarkable.

I have no idea how I finished that last mile but when I turned on Michigan Ave and headed up Roosevelt Bridge for those last 200 meters to the finish line the crowd and fellow runners lifted me off my feet to the end. I can’t tell you how much support during and after the race I’ve received. 1 out of 3 runners made an effort to run from the opposite side of the street to thank me, ask if I needed any help, thank you sir, Semper Fi, I saw you do this at the Lake Geneva Triathlon, tell me about their service experience, can I take a photo with you. Mothers who have sons & daughters in the military ran up to me in the water stops to hug and kiss me and thank me. It was overwhelming and very gratifying.
 
I had to stop short of the finish to catch my breath and adjust my pack and as I bent down a team of medical people came over to me to see if I was alright and the doctor said, "did you really carry that the whole race? Ughh yeah... holy shit man?" I straighten up grabbed the flag pole and ran to the finish and the crowd just roared it was amazing and as I crossed the finish lline my friend Dan who was a race official saw me and I lost it. I got down on one knee and shed a few tears I was completely spent emotionally and physically. When I got to my team tent most of my teammates had already finished and were waiting for me when I walked in both men and women had tears in their eyes and grabbed me as I was about to fall from exhaustion. Even the deputy chief of the Chicago Police Dept came up to me to shake my hand and take a photo..A few hours later I decided to head home and took the RED LINE and I ended my day cold, tired, sore, alone and a little down and then this happens a few hours later:

“I walk into "Q" BBQ to order a Fred Flintstone size burger with all the sides...and this table of men and women see me and tell the waitress to pick up my tab. Why I asked? "You're that crazy guy who ran with giant pack and flags, please join us at our table. We wanted to thank you because our son is in the military and our other son is a cop"...Nice way to end a long day. I love Karma....”
My dear friend Laura from Wisconsin sent this to me after the race and posted it on her Facebook site and I've received over 40 emails from people as a result. (She ran the race also and I never saw her the whole day)....
Let's just face it, 26.2 is difficult without a doubt ... but I could not walk for even a moment during the race yesterday thinking about how my friend Dave Zaro ran Chicago this year - with a 40 pound ruck and flags for Chicago Police and ...
the Wounded Warrior Project. It never ceases to amazing me how the strength of the human spirit transfers strength to the human body - allowing incredible, seemingly impossible feats to be accomplished. You are admired by many Dave Zaro
Someone from this site saw me at mile 24 and wrote this little story...
 
 
 

Post Race Phewwww
 
China Town

 


4AM before the start
 
Post Race




No comments:

Post a Comment